Sunday, January 25, 2009

Tikoy Festival Recipe

As Chinese New Year draws near, I received lots of Tikoy (Glutinous Rice Cake) from my Chinese friends for good fortune.

My favorite is the one from Salazar - brown and heavy!=) I'm the only one in the household who is a Tikoy fanatic. My husband doesn't eat it, my daughter ate a few and found it too sticky for her taste. Yaya takes a few bite every so often.
 
The first time I received Tikoy was about 7 years ago and I thought it was eaten raw as it is. I found it too hard and gummy then. I was told the following day that it was supposed to be fried in cooking oil, with an option to dip it in scrambled egg before frying. 

I received a fabulous tip lately from a Chinese colleague that it can be wrapped with lumpia wrapper before frying it.

I tried the recipe the minute I got home and I instantly loved it! Tastes like Turon in fact! Yaya also tried it and liked Tikoy in lumpia wraps. My daughter who rejected Tikoy not cooked this way considered trying Tikoy once more since she found it crispy to the bite.

Crispy! Sticky! Lovely! Yummy! Looking forward to my next Tikoy fest!



No comments: