Sunday, October 12, 2008

Mission: Closet Clean Up

I wanted to upgrade my wardrobe for the past few months but since I'm stuck with my basic salary until November (read: no extra money for clothes shopping), I decided to rearrange my clothes hoping to rediscover great stuffs buried inside my closet.

I took out clothes not worn for 2 years and held a mini-garage sale with my house help's friends in the condominium as customers. I managed to sell my stuff for 10-50 pesos and earned almost a thousand pesos as a reward. I gave a few bucks to our house help as her sales commission. 

I then managed to rearrange and pile my clothes according to use: office wear, house wear, sleep wear, gym clothes, casual clothes, dresses and jackets. Afterwards, I grouped those with similar colors altogether for easy reference.

I realized that I do not need to buy new set of clothes yet. I've got office wear that could last me for almost 2 months without repeating them and about a year's worth of casual clothes.

I had a fun time realizing that most of my clothes withstood the trends and times. I still wear at home shirts from my university years. Majority of my casual clothes were purchased long before my husband and I were an item! My oldest shirt has been with me for about 12 years now while I've enjoyed occasionally on weekends wearing my Mango jeans (my oldest pair of pants) for 6 years.

The practical side rather than the fashionista side of me always kicks in. I've learned how to update my wardrobe recently by these 2 simple techniques: mix and match and bring back the basics.

No comments: