Monday, March 2, 2009

The Need to Choose Wellness

I was shocked to receive a note that one of my fellow retreat attendee died of a heart attack last night. He was survived by his wife and his kid. May eternal rest grant on his soul! I can't even remember his face since I attended the retreat four years ago and have not been active in the community since but the thought of having someone died of a heart attack almost near my age disturbed me.

Lots of people are dying young these days - due to cancer, heart attack, aneurysm mostly due perhaps to poor lifestyle quality. Although there are some physical conditions that may be attributed to genes, a lot are now due to improper lifestyle or eating habits, no exercise, stressful work conditions and polluted environment.

I would definitely not want to be one of them. My kids are still young and I feel I still have a lot to accomplish in life. The sudden news made me think for a while, re-assess my priorities and I've just decided to change a few of my bad lifestyle habits. One of them is working myself of too hard to the point of having no exercise at all.  Tomorrow, I will have to start on hitting the gym or at the very least run within the community. I will have to start on choosing wellness very soon- for myself, for my family and for my children's future. 

No comments: